Planning a Destination Wedding to the Space Coast? Here are some helpful hints from local wedding pros.
Let’s be honest, there are not too many better places to have your wedding than here on the Space Coast of Florida! It’s called “paradise” for a reason! We have great weather, incredible venues (and a large variety of venues at that!), parks, beaches, islands, boats/yachts, cruise ships, and amazing scenery. And even though things can sometimes seem almost perfect, there are a few things to consider when planning a wedding here. Here are a few helpful tips to keep in mind:
- Plan ahead! People are flocking to Florida everyday, and a lot of those people are coming here to get married. It is not unusual for me to be asked to perform a ceremony two or things times for the same day. So the sooner you plan out your big day, the better. This is especially true if you’re planning your ceremony in March, April, or October – by far the busiest months!
- Keep sun and tides in mind! If you’re planning a wedding on the beach, remember that the sun is very bright and hot. Weddings at 4pm or 5pm can be a little too much, especially between the months of May through September. So a little later is better. Also, remember that the sun rises on the east coast and sets on the west coast. Often, people from northern states forget that their beautiful “sunset wedding” isn’t going to happen here on the Space Coast. And finally, remember to check the tides if you’re planning a beach wedding. Sometimes the water can get up pretty high. Or better yet, check out the size of the beaches in the area. Some beaches are huge while others can be rather small.
- Get your license! If you’re coming from out of state (we do a ton of “destination weddings”), it’s a great idea to get your marriage license through “Married by Mail.” You can find this on the Sensationalceremonies.com web site. It’s quick, easy and will save you a ton of time (and anxiety!).
- Ask your Wedding Officiant for help! After doing 50+ weddings per year for several years now, I’ve become pretty proficient in knowing the best photographers, venues, caterers, hotels, wedding coordinators, etc. Too often, the Officiant is contacted last (or almost last) when in fact, the Officiant can potentially help you out the most!
- Stay close to your ceremony location! Not only can the traffic get a little challenging near beaches and touristy destinations, but you do not want to forget something vitally important back at your Orlando hotel (like your marriage license!!). Staying close will make things easier and lower the stress level.
- Dress appropriately! I do a lot of “casual weddings” here on the Space Coast. If you’re planning a beach wedding, or something like that, consider going without a coat and tie, maybe no shoes, light colored jacket, etc. There really aren’t many “marriage rules” any more, so feel free to adjust to the weather and location to keep comfortable.
- Finally, relax. We’re laid back here, but we’ll make sure everything goes well (and it will) and you’ll have a wonderful wedding ceremony to remember forever. It will all work out, so chill with us here and enjoy all that goes into your big day – you’ll be glad you did!